Monday, July 28, 2008

Winter Warmer

I thought I might share my favourite winter recipe. I still can't believe I haven't made it this winter yet. I'll have to do something about that.

Yummy Lamb Shanks

Lamb Shanks (I usually use 4 but you could make this with as many as you like)
Onions (I think I use 1 or 2 chopped in wedges)
3 Cloves of Garlic
Chopped Carrots (about 3 or 4 cut in chunks)
1/2 cup Pearl Barley
1 cup Red Wine
1 cup Beef Stock (or a beef stock cube in 1 cup of water)
1 can Tomatoes
1/4 cup Tomato Paste
1 tablespoon Thyme (fresh if you have it)


Use a big heavy based saucepan. Brown lamb shanks in a little oil and remove. Then fry the onions and garlic cloves until soft in the same saucepan. Return the lamb shanks and then add the carrots, pearl barley, red wine, beef stock, tomatoes and tomato paste. Put the lid on and simmer for 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours. About 15 mins before you are ready to serve chop in fresh thyme leaves. Serve with mash potatoes (mandatory) and other vegies if you wish.

I am unsure of the origin of this recipe as a lady from work gave it to me. Is very yummy, enjoy :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Chook... this sounds soooo yummy, I'll have to give it a try... Tracy.

Mel said...

I'll be giving this a go in the next couple of weeks. I don't have a good lamb shank recipe.....now I do!!