Sunday, October 26, 2008

Chicken Kiev with Bacon and Asparagus

Well it's been awhile since I have posted a recipe so I thought I'd share this one I made last weekend. Isn't it funny how you dislike certain foods as a kid and then you change your thoughts when you are a bit older. I used to dislike asparagus very much (maybe because I had only tried it out of a can...shame on you mum) but now I really like it fresh (still dislike the canned version).

I found this recipe on the internet when googling chicken, bacon and asparagus to see if I could find any inspiration (god bless google). The site is called foodtv. I have just cut and pasted the ingredients and instructions, however I just halved the ingredients to make 2 not 4 kievs. Also it says to cook at 350°F, I'm not sure what that is in celsius but I think I used 180 and I cooked it for about 40 mins not 20. This dish turned out really nice, better than I expected. I made my own bread crumbs and I think that is what made it. So here it is. Sorry, I didn't think to take a picture until I was half way through it and then I was enjoying it too much to get up and find my camera. Next time. I hope you give it a go and enjoy :)

Ingredients:

8 strips bacon
12 tips of asparagus, (top 2 inches only)
4 large skinless boneless breasts of chicken, tendons removed
2 egg
2 cup breadcrumbs, (coarse if possible)
1 cup flour
5 tbsp butter
salt and pepper

Directions:

1. In a frying pan, cook bacon until almost crispy.
2. Steam asparagus tips for three minutes.
3. Using a mallet, or other blunt instrument (the kind you keep beside your bed to ward off mad burglars), flatten chicken breasts by placing them, one at a time, between 2 sheets of wax paper or plastic wrap, and pound to 1/4" thickness.
4. Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
5. In three separate bowls place: (bowl #1) flour, (bowl #2) eggs (beaten) and (bowl #3) bread crumbs. Line the three bowls in a row.
6. Complete the following procedure for each portion.
7. Take one flattened chicken breast, season with salt and pepper. Lay two strips of bacon side by side, on the top side of the chicken breast. Place three asparagus tips crosswise at one end and top with 1 tablespoon butter.
8. Starting at the end with the asparagus, roll up chicken like a carpet around the bacon, butter and asparagus, and tuck in the loose ends underneath.
9. Dip rolled chicken in the flour, then the egg, and then the bread crumbs, covering thoroughly at each step. Place in a shallow pan with the seam on the bottom. Place 1/4 tablespoon butter on top of each piece of chicken. Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until cooked throughout. Towards the end, baste with pan drippings.

No comments: